November 4, 2020–12:28 a.m.
The Rome Christmas Parade Committee met tonight and voted unanimously to move the 2020 Parade to the Rome Braves stadium parking areas. “Santa Claus is coming to town, but due to an increase in Covid cases in our community we felt it was important to ensure everyone’s health and safety during the holiday season by providing a static parade where the community can ride by and catch the Christmas spirit,” said Parade Co-Chairman Jerry Rucker.
The theme this year will expand to become ”Miracle on Braves Boulevard Saluting the Heroes of 2020”. The Red and Gold Parking areas of the Braves stadium will be transformed into a Winter Wonderland with floats, lights, music, and fun holiday inflatables. “Some of my favorite memories of Christmas is when our family jammed into our car and rode around the countryside looking at everyone’s Christmas lights while listening to (and singing) Christmas tunes. We want to recreate that feeling on Braves Boulevard,” said Co-Chair Janet Byington.
A few things the community needs to know:
- Due to the change of location, we will be able to accept more applications for entries. We have extended that deadline to November 15. Applications are available online at www.romechristmasparade.com. The Committee agreed to waive the application fee so there will be NO CHARGE to register an entry into the parade this year. All entries who have previously entered will receive a refund in the next few days and their applications remain intact.
- Prizes and plaques will still be awarded to winning entries.
- Heroes of 2020 Poster Contest: When you drive through the parade area, we are asking each vehicle to bring a poster thanking the heroes of 2020 for their service. Please put your name, cell number, and email on the back of the poster. Prizes will be awarded for the winning posters. These posters will be displayed downtown during the holiday season.
- The Committee is also asking people to join in the fun and decorate their cars and trucks in a festive manner as they drive through the parade route.
- The parade route will be open from 6 – 9 PM on December 1st. More details will follow as to entering and exiting the parade area. The rain date is December 3rd.
- Parade entries may set up in the area from 1-6 on the day of the parade.
Byington added, “2020 has certainly presented some challenges to our daily lives. Christmas is such a special time when we celebrate our faith and get together with our families and friends. Keeping the time-honored tradition of our Christmas parade kicking off our holiday season is important to the life of our community. We hope everyone will come out and catch the holiday spirit at this year’s parade as we find new creative ways to celebrate this special time of the year.”